Here’s a compilation of favourite songs I bought in the last year (note not all were released this year). It was a damn fine year in my view, and I certainly splashed out on plenty of vinyl – almost certainly the most I bought in any one year. It felt like I discovered quite a lot of new music, but on closer inspection most purchases were from artists I already owned, not that that’s a bad thing.
My particular favourites from this year are W. H. Lung (simply awesome – saw them live twice – even awesomer), Ólafur Arnalds, Josefin Öhrn and Parquet Courts, and I absolutely love the new Underworld. My obsession with anything resembling a motorik beat continues, although my taste seems to moving back towards electronica from the alt-country preference of more recent years (although chuck in some modern classical for good measure).
Because I keep these compilations to the length of a CD, there are some notable omissions from this list, including new(ish) albums from Gruff Rhys (again), Ride, Broken Social Scene, The Fall, Flamagra, Fröst, Moon Duo and a beautiful classical album from Beth Gibbons.
The Best Songs I Bought in 2019, Ever
- Second Death Of My Face by W. H. Lung from the album Incidental Music
- Everything For You by Lambchop from the album This (Is What I Wanted To Tell You)
- I Am a Very Rude Person by Thom Yorke from the album Anima
- The Spoils by Massive Attack feat. Hope Sandoval from the single The Spoils
- Inconsist by Ólafur Arnalds from the album Re:member
- Custard Speedtalk by Underworld from the album Drift Series 1 – Sampler Edition
- See My Girls by Tindersticks from the album No Treasure But Hope
- Left Handed by Ohmme from the album Parts
- Viktor Borgia by Stephen Malkmus from the album Groove Denied
- Argent by Jane Weaver from the album The Silver Globe
- Last Bloom by Floating Points from the album Crush
- Wide Awake by Parquet Courts from the album Wide Awake!
- Licensed To Drive by Black Mountain from the album Destroyer
- Nice Man by Idles from the Meat EP / Meta EP
- Panama by the Wedding Present from the single Jump In, The Water’s Fine
- Films by Gary Numan from the album The Pleasure Principle
- Rechargeable by Snapped Ankles from the album Stunning Luxury
- Imagine You by Josefin Öhrn + The Liberation from the album Mirage
You can listen to the playlist on Spotify.