I’ve been back filling my best ofs, so here’s a compilation of favourite songs I bought in 2017 (note not all were released that year). 2017 was the start of a series of really good years for music purchases – probably due to improvements to my hifi setup, in particular a new cartridge for my turntable.
This was the year my brother introduced me to W. H. Lung (still my favourite band at the moment). I also particularly enjoyed discovering Jane Weaver, Moon Diagrams and Floating Points. The new Ride album, Weather Diaries, was brilliant, and I thoroughly enjoyed digging out some old Cable. And Bowie’s valedictory recording was quite something.
Because I keep these compilations to roughly the length of a CD, there are some notable omissions from this list. Honourable mentions include British Sea Power, Public Service Broadcasting, Tindersticks, Beach House, Flying Lotus, Royal Blood, Lætitia Sadier, and perennial favourite The Wedding Present.
The Best Songs I Bought in 2017, Ever
- Lannoy Point by Ride from the album Weather Diaries
- Inspiration! by W. H. Lung from the single Inspiration! / Nothing Is
- Like a Suicide by The Early Years from the EP Memory Case
- Thinking Of A Place by The War On Drugs from the album A Deeper Understanding
- Lazarus by David Bowie from the No Plan EP
- Silurian Blue by Floating Points from the album Reflections – Mojave Desert
- Around by Tim Burgess and Peter Gordon from the EP Around (Remixes)
- About a Bruise by Iron & Wine from the album Beast Epic
- Medicine by The Black Angels from the album Death Song
- I’m Always Right by Cable from the album When Animals Attack
- Emotional Haircut by LCD Soundsystem from the album American Dream
- NIV by Lambchop from the album FLOTUS
- Dusseldorf by Teleman from the album Brilliant Sanity
- Nightmoves by Moon Diagrams from the album Lifetime of Love
- Scientists by Four Tet from the album New Energy
- The Rumble and the Tremor (feat. Devon Sproule) by Warm Digits from the album Wireless World
- Mercury by Bloc Party from the album Intimacy
- Other Stars by Wooden Shjips from the album Back to Land
- The Architect by Jane Weaver from the album Modern Kosmology
- That’s All You Need by Faces from the album A Nod Is as Good as a Wink… to a Blind Horse
You can listen to the playlist on Spotify.