Back after a decidedly long hiatus, here’s a compilation of favourite songs I bought in the last year (note not all were released this year). It was a damn fine year in my view, and I certainly splashed out on plenty of vinyl – a new set of hi-fi will do that to a chap. Particular highlights include a return to form from Spiritualized, Nils Frahm’s haunting, delicate music and the magnificent Snapped Ankles with probably my favourite album of the year.
Because I keep these compilations to the length of a CD, there are some notable omissions from this list, including new(ish) albums from Gruff Rhys, Gaz Coombes, Band of Horse and Cavern of Anti-Matter.
The Best Songs I Bought in 2018, Ever
- Ullswater by Hookworms from the album Microshift
- Jailbird by Primal Scream from the album Give Out But Don’t Give Up: The Original Memphis Recordings
- Once in My Life by The Decemberists from the album I’ll Be Your Girl
- Cactus by Teleman from the album Family Of Aliens
- Bubblegum by Confidence Man from the album Confident Music For Confident People
- Morning Velvet Sky (Richard Norris Remix) by Gulp from the album All Good Wishes – Remixes
- My Mistakes by Eleanor Friedberger from the album Last Summer
- Always Trying to Work It Out by Low from the album Double Negative
- I’m Your Man by Spiritualized from the album And Nothing Hurt
- Singularity by Jon Hopkins from the album Singularity
- Paradox by Sextile from the EP 3
- Lost in Light by Moon Duo from the album Occult Architecture Vol. 2
- A Place by Nils Frahm from the album All Melody
- Firecrackers by Marissa Nadler from the album July
- In My Head by Our Girl from the album Stranger Today
- Jonny Guitar Calling Gosta Berlin by Snapped Ankles from the album Come Play The Trees
You can listen to the playlist on Spotify.